Skip to main navigation.

History

On February 1, 1938, R.E. Meek, H.D. Madsen, A.E. Schoeneberg, J.B. Putman, A.E. Berndt, Alfred N. Nilson, and Victor T. Jurasek met in the Wharton law office of Edwin Hawes, Jr. and adopted the Articles of Incorporation. They made application to the State of Texas for a Charter and Wharton County Electric Cooperative was born!

WCEC is an electric distribution system and is a member-owned businesss; incorporated under the laws of the State of Texas; chartered by the Secretary of State; and regulated by a locally elected Board of Directors.

There are 77 other electric cooperatives in Texas and over 1,000 electric cooperatives nationwide. WCEC is a member of the Texas Electric Cooperatives headquartered in Austin, Texas and the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association in Arlington, V.A.

Mission Statement:

The mission of Wharton County Electric Cooperative, Inc. is to provide economical and reliable electric energy service to our members and to provide products, services, and leadership that will have a positive influence on the economy of the area that we serve.

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Together We Save